Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology in Delta State University (Delsu) – Student Guide
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology aims at
- Developing and perpetuating Programmes for training, research and community service for undergraduate and postgraduate students comparable to any other in the world
- Providing an environment where both clinical and basic scientific research can be conducted.
- Inculcating leadership qualities, enthusiasm and the capacity to critically evaluate new information and the flexibility to utilize the information for standard clinical Obstetric and Gynaecology practice in our locality.
- Providing continuing medical education in the field of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
- Rendering high quality Obstetric and Gynaecology care to females in the near and far communities.
The Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology is divided and run along four (4) sub-specialty lines –
- Maternal & Fetal medicine,
- Reproductive medicine & infertility,
- Gynaecological oncology and
The department utilizes two hospitals for clinical and academic activities- Delta State University Teaching Hospital , Oghara and Central Hospital, Warri.
The undergraduate training programme is divided into 3 postings -Introductory, Junior and Senior postings. The training is geared towards equipping the student with the knowledge , skills and professional attitude to make a diagnosis, completely manage or provide initial management before referral, of common conditions in Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
Currently, the postgraduate training programmes in Obstetrics and Gynaecology are domiciled in the Delta State University Teaching Hospital were academic staff of this department are active trainers for the Faculty of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of the National Postgraduate Medical College and the West African College of Surgeons.
Click on page 2 below to continue Reading!!