Acumen East Africa Fellows Program for Emerging Leaders 2023
Every year, our Fellows Program in East Africa brings together twenty remarkable individuals from Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Ethiopia, Burundi, and South Sudan, and equips them with the knowledge, support network, and practical expertise necessary to effect meaningful social change.
Over the course of a year, Fellows maintain their current positions while participating in five week-long seminars where they are provided with the resources, training, and space to innovate new ideas, accelerate their impact, and build a strong network of social leaders from their region and around the world.
- Type: Fellowship
- Organisation: Acumen
- Course to study: Not specified
- Gender: Men and Women
- Application Deadline: November 28, 2022
About the Acumen
On April 1, 2001, Acumen was formed with seed funding from the Rockefeller Foundation, Cisco Systems Foundation, and three private individuals. Our goal was to alter the world of philanthropy by viewing all humans as members of a single, global society in which everyone has the chance to live a life of dignity.
The organization would invest “Patient Capital,” capital that bridges the gap between the efficiency and scalability of market-based systems and the social effect of pure philanthropy, in entrepreneurs offering sustainable solutions to significant poverty challenges.
- Join a group of twenty varied leaders from Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, South Sudan, and Ethiopia.
- The Acumen Fellows come from varied industries, specialties, and social change paths.
- All program expenses are paid for by Acumen Academy East Africa
- Multiple multi-day virtual lectures and workshops, interspersed with online individual and group projects.
- Knowledge that is immediately applicable to your life and profession
- Peer coaching that challenges and supports you in your work for social change
- Develop a greater awareness of yourself and your work in a broader perspective.
- Navigate unpredictability and embrace the transformative process
Beyond Year 1
- Join Acumen’s expanding community of social innovators and builders from around the world committed to a future without poverty and inequality.
- Opportunities to network, cooperate, as well as learn from and share experiences with local and international Acumen social innovators.
- After the first year of the Acumen Fellowship, fellows participate in a variety of activities geared to expand their impact and strengthen their communities.
Our Fellows are individuals who have the courage to create meaningful change in their region by doing what is right and not what is easy. Fellows can come from a variety of ethnic, regional, and socioeconomic origins and work in any industry, but they must be dedicated to reducing poverty and injustice in their community via their work. Individuals who are pursuing a system-level effect over the long run and who desire the leadership abilities and moral imagination to make it happen.
These are the Fellows we seek:
- Entrepreneurs, intrapreneurs, and organizational builders typically choose one of the following paths: for-profit, nonprofit, or government. We characterize it as…
- Entrepreneurs: establishing or directing a for-profit or non-profit organization that delivers essential goods or services to the underprivileged.
- Supporting the growth of an organization, institution, or enterprise focused on reducing poverty or injustice, but not as its founder or chief executive officer.
- Intrapreneurs are those who create innovative ways to combat poverty or injustice from within an existing organization by altering its culture and forming new partnerships.
- Individuals with a proven track record of impact, devotion, and ties to the region.
- Leaders with high levels of personal integrity, perseverance, and moral inventiveness.
- Individuals who are committed to undergoing an intensive, year-long personal change and leadership journey, followed by induction into the larger Fellows Community.
- Individuals of all ages and levels of education who are able to participate in a program conducted in English or, in the case of the Program in Colombia, in Spanish.
How to apply
Our application procedure consists of the following five steps.
- Stage 1: An online application form meant to determine why you should become an Acumen Fellow at this moment.
- Stage 2: An opportunity to go deeper into your work through a brief application and essay questions.
- Stage 3 is the final selection of the finalists. The day of the Selection Conference consists of elevator pitches, group activities, and an interview with a panel.
- The 2022 cohort will be chosen in November, and the 2022 Fellows will be revealed in December 2021.
- Before applying, it is essential to review all application conditions on the Award Website (see link below).
November 28, 2022
Join our 77,000+ students and never miss our members’ exclusive Jobs Abroad and Scholarship updates.
Gain Access to our Private Group
See What Others Are Reading: